top of page

Eligibility for VA Benefits

Your eligibility for most VA benefits is based on discharge from active military service under other than dishonorable conditions. Active service means full-time service as a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, Space Force or as a commissioned officer of the Public Health Service, the Environmental Services Administration or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Veteran-Owned Small Business verification

Program benefits

Small businesses owned by veterans can compete for set-aside contracts at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Through its Veterans First Contracting program, VA awards a large amount of contract dollars to veterans every year by offering set-aside contracting opportunities. VA also sets aside contracting opportunities for businesses owned by veterans who are service-disabled.

Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business program

Program benefits

The federal government aims to award at least 3% of all federal contracting dollars to Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Businesses (SDVOSB) each year.

Competition is limited for certain federal contract opportunities to businesses that participate in the SDVOSB program.

Joining the SDVOSB program makes your business eligible to compete for the program’s set-aside contracts. You can still compete for contract awards under other socio-economic programs you qualify for.

SDVOSBs may self-certify their status to compete for set-aside contracts at most federal agencies. However, VA does not recognize SDVOSB self-certification.

Eligibility requirements

To qualify for the SDVOSB program, your business must:

Be a small business according to SBA’s size standards

Be at least 51% owned and controlled by one or more service-disabled veterans

Have one or more service-disabled veterans manage day-to-day operations who also make long-term decisions

Eligible veterans must have a service-connected disability

You can view the full eligibility requirements in Title 13 Part 125 Subpart B of the Code of Federal Regulations.

How to self-certify as SDVOSB

You can self-certify your business to the federal government as being owned by a service-disabled veteran. Simply update the socio-economic status section of your business profile at

Surplus Personal Property for Veteran-Owned Small Business programs

Program benefits

Veteran-owned small businesses can access federally owned personal property no longer in use through the General Services Administration's (GSA) Federal Surplus Personal Property Donation Program.

GSA oversees the reuse and donation of federal personal property. It also:


Allocates property to the states for donation

Reviews State Agency for Surplus Property (SASP) operations

SASP manages surplus property disbursement, including:

Verification of eligibility

Program compliance

Fee collection


Dispute resolution (in accordance with respective states’ operating plans)

Eligibility requirements

VOSBs may get federal surplus property from the SASP in the state where the property will be primarily located and used. You must agree in writing that your VOSB:

Is located and operated within the state

Is unconditionally owned and controlled by one or more eligible veterans, service-disabled veterans, or surviving spouses

Has registered and is in “verified” status in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) Vets First Verification Program database

Will use the property in the normal conduct of its business activities (personal or non-business use is prohibited)

Will not sell, transfer, loan, lease, encumber or otherwise dispose of the property during the period of restriction unless it has received express written authorization from SASP, GSA, and SBA

Will get permission from the donating SASP before permanently removing the property from the state

Will use the property as intended within one year of receipt

Will maintain its VOSB eligibility with VA and SASP for the duration of the applicable federal period of restriction for donated property

Will give SBA, GSA, and/or SASP access to inspect the property and all pertinent records

bottom of page